In The Headstrong Miss Henley, an earl enters into an engagement with an ill-bred American girl. Lord Whitford is basically in it for the money. (Which sounds so crass and unheroic, but he has sisters to support and an estate with servants to keep afloat.) Miss Henley's father wants a title for his daughter, Betty. Betty wasn't consulted, but she's attracted to the earl and longs for a little attention from him. Although not the kind of attention she gets. Lord Whitford is humiliated by her lack of decorum, and decides the only way to get her to behave is to spank her. Non-consensual spankings follow. Although as their wedding day nears, both she and he have learned that a spanking can be pleasurable as well, and the last spanking is definitely full-on consensual. Here's an excerpt from earlier in their relationship:
“Then you must be aware that what is to happen is completely your responsibility.”
Hmm. I now find myself confused by my own definitions. I was thinking of this as completely non-consensual, because Lord Whitford would certainly spank Miss Henley even if she tried climbing up the curtains to get away from him. And yet, in this scene, she has gone and done exactly what she was told would lead to a spanking, and she's was, in theory, ready to accept the punishment if said behavior would humiliate him in front of society. So I guess that is consensual. Semi-consensual? But it's certainly not as if she agrees that she needs to be spanked or accepts that he has the right to spank her. So I'm leaving this story in this pile!
In the next story, The Scheming Miss Sinclair, Miss Lucy Sinclair has trapped Lord Reece into marrying her by contriving to have them found alone together at a ball. As her husband, Gareth, Lord Reece, feels he has the right to spank her whenever he sees fit. Miss Sinclair does submit to at least some of the spankings, but only because she knows her punishment will be worse if she doesn't. Which I'd say makes them non-consensual. (Although, she and her new husband also discover that spankings can be erotic, and there is definitely the implication at the end of the story that they will be indulging in at least some semi-consensual if not completely consensual spankings in the future.) Here's a look:
Yeah, I'm confident that was non-consensual. So here's a recap of where my stories fall on the Consent Scale. (Though most of the stories end up with consensual spankings by the end.)
1. Taken in Hand. Gigi makes an appointment at Real Fantasies to get a spanking, something she's been fantasizing about for years. For Gigi, it's all about erotic fulfilment.
2. Asking for a Spanking. Katie's life is so out of control that she asks her handsome professor neighbor to help her--by giving her disciplinary spankings. But she does ask!
3. No Pain, No Gain Madison hires a trainer to help her get into shape and lose weight. She doesn't read the small print that says she gives the trainer permission to spank her.
4. Time for a Spanking. Elise agrees to take a paddling from the school principal, so her daughter doesn't have to. (I'm ranking the semi-consensual spankings by how much leverage the spanker has over the spankee.)
5. A Spanking for Santa. Henry, dressed up as Santa, picks the wrong house to rob. Single-mom Marci offers him a choice: he takes a spanking or she calls 911. He's actually not that unwilling to take the bargain. Getting spanked by a cute woman in her bedroom doesn't sound so bad. Wrong.
6. The Naughty List Briony hates the idea of her assistant--her assistant!--spanking her, but he'll turn her in for tax fraud if she doesn't go over his knee.
7. Spanking Bridezilla. Henry loves his bride-to-be, but her selfish behavior makes him hand out an ultimatum: she takes spankings when he thinks she needs them or the wedding is off.
8. Better Watch Out (Cause Santa Spanks) Helen's husband gives her a choice: accept a spanking or he'll take the kids to his parents' for Christmas, leaving her alone for the holiday, and then he'll ask for a divorce.
9. The Headstrong Miss Henley. It's a battle of wills between Miss Henley and her fiance, Lord Whitford. He spanks her every time she misbehaves. She won't stop misbehaving because she finds that her behavior humiliates him in front of society, and that's the only way she has to punish him.
10. The Scheming Miss Sinclair. Miss Sinclair's new husband, tricked into marrying her, is determined to show her she made a huge error because he now owns her, body and soul.
I find I'm still in the mood to write a few more Regencies, so I suspect there will be more non-consensual spankings to come!